Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Cancer support group

Well, tonight I went to my first cancer support group. To be truthful, I was not so crazy about that. I knew the first thing I would have to do is admit I had cancer to a group of people I didn't know( as if my bald head wouldn't give me away), and then probably be expected to talk about it. Now, as I've said, I am a bury my head in the sand person. If I don't talk about it, it's not real, or so I think. I feel comfortable talking about cancer with a few people, certain people. But to converse my dilemma with a room of strangers, is just a weird thought. To my surprise, tho, the group was pretty cool. I expected a room of people wringing their hands, crying about their cancer. But what I found was a group of people that are survivors. They have been battling cancer for some time, and are still here. They were given death sentences years ago, when they were told they had months to live. Years later, they are still here. Wow, I want to keep going back to learn what makes them different. Much of what I learned was their faith in God, their positive thinking, and sometimes just sheer will and determination. Some days it was putting one foot in front of the other. I think I could learn to love these people. Either way, I will go back next month. I will listen, learn, and may even share. So in spite of myself, I had a good time and was grateful to find this group. Becky

No comments: