Saturday, May 28, 2011

Valley Walker

My niece, Emily, reminded me at the beginning of my journey, that I was a valley walker, not a valley dweller. Emmy, this was awesome advise. My job was just to keep walking thru the valley with my eyes on the Lord. Don't stop and dwell there, don't pitch my tent, don't even hang out, just keep trucking. Emily is my sisters oldest daughter, and wise beyond her years. During the time she was visiting me in the hospital, my sister and brothers came to visit me also, along with my children, other nieces, and various family members. Not meaning to leave anyone out, the point of my blog tonight, is my sister, brothers, and I did not have it easy growing up. I would go so far as to say it was bad, and at times, unbearable. We grew as teens with a whole slew of defects of character, but the one thing that was made clear was we were owed nothing, excuses were not made for our behavior, and we were responsible for the decisions we made. We had no one making excuses for us, and we accepted our consequences as they came. I got cancer due to poor choices I made. No one made them for me. I have to accept my own responsibility, which I have and do. Tho this is painful, it means I have to keep my eyes on the Lord. I am saying this because so many times, I see teens that others just simply make excuses for. They rarely suffer consequences, and everything is done for them. It took my struggle to realize God was my only hope. My only way. As I watch this occur, I have to wonder at the end of it all, and these kids have never totally suffered consequences, never HAD to trust in the Lord, who is held responsible? The now grown kid who does not know the Lord, or the person who allowed them to get that way? My life has been hard growing up, and is difficult as an adult, but I can honestly say I know the Lord and am a Christ follower. With my eyes on the prize, I am ready to face what God will walk with me thru. I truly am a valley walker, not a valley dweller. So tho as hard as our lives were, my siblings and I learned no one was going to make excuses for us, or look the other way, or not allow us to suffer consequences for our behavior. So if I am grateful for anything in my childhood, this would be it. It taught me God was the one that loved me, He would guide me if I allowed Him, He would walk with me thru every valley, but even He allows me to suffer consequences of my decisions. Yes, at this moment my tumors may be cleared, but believe me, He didn't just wave his hand and make it all go away. I walked thru the cancer treatment hell. Thank you, Lord, you walked with me. I love the Lord. I love the little reprieve I have been given. I love the extra time with my friends and family, and I am ever so grateful no one made excuses for me, so I could develop that relationship with the Lord. I will keep trucking, as usual. Just trying to remember, I am a valley walker, not a valley dweller. Thank you, Emily, I love you. Becky

No comments: