Friday, April 8, 2011

American cancer society

My sweet sister in law found out the American cancer society does things to help cancer
patients. One of the hardest things for me to do is ask for help. And the biggest thing is
getting to Baylor cancer center for chemo 3 days a week. Now if I just needed a ride, it may
not be so bad, but the truth is, the first day, it will take 3 hours for chemo once I got
There. 2nd and 3rd days, 2 hours. I have had many friends still volunteer to take me to
save my life, but the truth is, this has just distressed me. We all have lives, and let's
get real. This would be a hardship on anyone. I have done some checking, thanks to Brenda ,
And the American cancer society would send avolunteer to come to my home, pick me up,
Take me to my chemo or radiation and return me home...all at no cost to me. I just have to
Give 3 days notice, which I should be able to do, except maybe the first week, and I can
maintain some pride and independence. I also have to be able to get in and out of the van
on my own. I can do that. Isn't this awesome?! I am not at all opposed to friends coming
To take me if we just feel like a friendship day, get out of the house day, but this was
All such a blessing to me. I have always been so independent and self sufficient, to now be so
Dependent is humbling. God in his mercy. if any of you hear of other things that would help, let me know. The biggest things I need is supper, which the church seems to be providing. I seem to only be able to eat cold stuff( jello, pudding, ice cream bars, all the yummy stuff, but Cheryl and the boys need supper. There is a pot luck lunch after church on Sunday, and you can bet I will be there. Come see me, or call, or text, or email. I love your notes or letters of encouragement. I have gotten cards and notes from people I do not know, but they know my daughter, or son in law, or sister, and they just want me to know they are praying and I am not alone. Can you imagine? God has put some extraordinary people in my life and one day, I
Hope to meet them all and hug their neck. I am encouraged. If any one out there can think of any
Where I can go to continue to do things on my own, please let me know and I will check into it. I have had friends who have volunteered to do my laundry, and I usually have 2 loads
A week, so I will take them up on it. Thank you all so much. Please continue to take care of
my awesome daughter Amanda, and her great husband James. They have shouldered a big responsibility
Taking care of me. I am still the mama, and I want them ok. From what I here, you guys are
doing a great job of loving on them and it warms my heart. Thank you so much. Keep the faith. I know I am. Becky

No comments: